Plants are our friends for so many reasons. They release oxygen and absorb carbon dioxide, which purifies the air we breathe. Some studies even show that having plants in your home can boost healing from certain conditions, reduce stress, and sharpen focus. I love the added health benefits that plants bring to our lives, yet I find that the most compelling reason to bring greenery into your space is the life and texture it adds to your home!
Here are a few ways you can liven up your space with plants and flowers.
- Visit your local nursery and talk to the EXPERTS! They will suggest plants that will prosper in your space and teach you how to properly care for them.
- Join a Flower CSA: If you love having fresh blooms in your home but don’t have time to plant and maintain your own garden a flower CSA might be a great solution. A CSA (community supported agriculture) is a program in which members typically purchase a share of fresh produce grown locally by regional farmers. Flower CSA’s are becoming increasingly popular in LA, especially because they cut back on the use of pesticides and minimize your carbon footprint.
- Enhance your decor: Bring in a potted plant or a simple arrangement to add life to any space in your home. The plant container you choose will also bring a design element in your space. Colorful vases and pots will add pizzazz to a neutral room.
- Keep your thumb green: Make sure you know how to care for your plants. Here are some things to consider:
- Pot size: Choose a pot that is one size larger in diameter than the pot the plant comes in. If the pot is too small, the plant will dry out and become root-bound because there is no room to grow. If the pot is too large, the roots may rot.
- Drainage: Make sure there is a hole at the bottom of your pot so water can drain. otherwise, your plant’s roots will rot. Be sure to put a saucer under your planter so that the draining water will not damage your floors. If you purchase a post without a drainage hole, add rocks underneath the soil to help soak up the excess water.
- Wipe down the leaves: It will remove dust and make your plants shine and help them absorb air particles and toxins.
- Hints to make your arrangements last longer: They do require a bit of maintenance. Snip a 1/2” off the stems at a 90 degree angle to allow for more of the surface area to absorb the water. Fill the vase with cool, clean water and try to change the water daily (or as often as you can).